We often try new foods when we hear about them, but there are some ingredients which we forgo thinking they don’t provide us with any benefit to the body. They have off late made a grand entry in the market, but most of us don’t know how and when to use them. These are the wonderous things called as “Seeds”.
As per the best nutritionist in Delhi, many fruits and vegetables that we eat contain seeds, but not many of us know that some of these seeds are edible; like sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, onion seeds, etc. These are small but powerful nutrient bombs. They are a source of good fat and contain lots of protein and antioxidants in them.
Seeds can be consumed in many ways. They can be eaten raw, roasted, made into a paste and used, incorporated into a curry, can be used as a garnish and many other ways. Listed down are a few major health benefits these popular seeds provide to us:
- Flax seeds:
- Flax seeds provide a good source of fiber to the body.
- Since it has a low glycemic index, it makes a good addition in food for people with Diabetes.
- It is a very good source of omega 3 fatty acids which helps in brain development.
- It is a good alternative for those who don’t consume fish.
- Pumpkin seeds:
- They are good source of fiber.
- They are rich in antioxidants and minerals like zinc, iron and magnesium.
- They are associated with reducing the risk of certain cancers.
- They also help in improving heart health.
- It’s a pseudo cereal with fiber content higher than a lot of other grains.
- It is a gluten free seed which can be consumed by anyone suffering from gluten intolerance.
- It contains some amounts of all nine essential amino acids which makes it a very good source of protein.
- Chia seeds:
- They are also known as super foods.
- Its is a high source of fiber (2tsp has nearly 10gms of fiber) which can help lose weight
- It contains high quality protein which helps to reduce food cravings.
- It contains antioxidant properties which help fight free radicles in the body.
- Sunflower seeds:
- Contains a good source of healthy fat
- It is a good source of phytosterols which help reduce cholesterol level in the body.
- Contains almost all sources of water-soluble Vitamin E.
- It contains flavonoids in them which help in reducing inflammation.
- Melon seeds:
- These include seeds from watermelon, musk melon and honeydew melon.
- They are low in calories which makes them a good snack for Diabetics.
- Muskmelon seeds acts as a good deworming agent and helps clear the intestines from harmful parasites.
- Pomegranate seeds:
- They are rich source of Vitamin C and antioxidants.
- They are a low calorie, high fiber food that is a boon for weight watchers.
- Sesame seeds:
- They are widely used in Asian and Middle-Eastern dishes and is a very good source of iron.
- It contains phytosterols which help in reducing cholesterol in the body.
- It is a good source of calcium and helps reduce bone problems in the body.
As mentioned above, almost all seeds are good sources of fiber and protein and have less carbohydrate in them they are all rich in antioxidants which is very beneficial for our bodies. Here are some recipes that you can consume which includes these superfoods.
- Flax seed roti (Indian Flatbread):
As Indians we love our roti. Most houses do prepare roti at least once a day. Adding flax seed powder to the flour mixture will increase its nutritive value. Since flax seed doesn’t have a very distinctive flavor, it will not alter the flavor of the roti. This Flax seed roti can be enjoyed with any accompanying curry of your choice.
- Chia fruit pudding:
Make desired fruit into a puree/ juice and add chia seeds to it and let it sit for sometime. The chia seeds will soak up the liquid and form a jelly like pudding.
- Quinoa salad:
Boil the quinoa till the germ breaks and keep aside. Add cut onions, cherry tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, lettuce and feta cheese to it. Add a vinaigrette dressing and serve.
- Garden salad with seeds:
In a bowl add lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, carrot sticks with salt and pepper. In this add your choice of vinaigrette and top it with some seeds of your choice.
- Mixed seed mouth freshener:
Take 20gms each of flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds (both black and white 10gms each). Add juice of half a lemon and some salt in a bowl and add flax seeds to it as it is very healthy to consume states best nutritionist in mumbai. Mix well and let it rest for an hour. In a pan add the soaked flax seeds and roast it on low flame. Once the corners of the pan start to whiten, add the rest of the seeds (pumpkin and sesame seeds) in it with a little salt. Warm until it’s about roasted and completely dry. Cool and store in an air tight container.